11 May 2009

"Walk on, walk on, walk on..."

This morning i accepted the job in Philadelphia.

i am happy and terrified. And this is a good thing. Were i not scared, this would not be moving on. But now i am certain that it is. i have often wondered, as i mull over decisions, if it is possible to make a mistake and miss your path forever.

i am inclined to think that your path is indeterminate, and that its end is not destiny. But what do i know?

When i hung up the phone, i sat down on the floor, listened to the Weepies on the stereo, and cried. i will be leaving much behind here, though in a way i feel it has already left me behind, and i am simply closing the door and letting it all go. Sometimes that is the hardest thing to do.



i will save a place in my heart for Kansas... for the wide openness of it all, and the energy carried across the plains by its summer storms. i will miss how easy it has been to travel from here, and lament the Death Valley trip that will take me a long time to make now. This summer has gone from hectic to whirlwind, and when it is all over i get to start a new job in a new city!

i will miss people. From my best-Kansas friend Ben to Frat Boy Will, to New Guy and New New Guy (who is a great kisser, by the way, but not monogamous - what IS it with that?!) and my colleagues at school who have supported me through some really difficult days.

Five more pounds gone. Forty total. A new life. A new city. Here's to Philly!


5 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Congratulations on the job Ellie! It's a great opportunity for you!

11 May, 2009 13:16  
Blogger Rhett said...

woo hoo!!! i'm glad for your decision and wish you all the best in your summer, transition, new job and move. selfishly i feel better knowing you're closer to me :) kansas is so far... philly is far too - but not as far... and we could plan things in DC or here, or there... and with notice - see each other!

11 May, 2009 15:36  
Blogger Lauren P said...

Congrats! Here's to new jobs (just started mine today). Let me know once you are there and settled and we can plan a day trip or a weekend visit.

11 May, 2009 19:13  
Blogger Allison said...

I'll echo Rhett. I'll feel so much better with you on the East Coast. I don't know why, but I will. There's nothing wrong with being an East Coaster.

I'm all for a meet-up in a random little town halfway between here and there...

12 May, 2009 20:48  
Blogger Andee said...

Whoo-hoo, this sounds so exciting! I know that it will be a big adventure.

I love the cartoon with the road signs.....

13 May, 2009 06:51  

Post a Comment

<< Home