30 April 2009

Territory

Heading to Philadelphia tomorrow morning at dawn's butt crack.

Went on the yearly field trip to Topeka this week which included much of the same sites as last time except for Lecompton, the territorial capitol of Kansas and the site of the start of the civil war. (Yes, i defended Fort Sumter for y'all, but these people are convinced.... they do have a point, that Bleeding Kansas was the first bloodshed over the issue of slavery, but if you ask me they're really splitting hairs.)

Still, it was cool, and i have a new history-crush (sort of like a man-crush, but on somebody who's dead): Jim Lane, an abolitionist and hell of a speaker. If you're so inclined, i highly recommend getting a copy of some of his speeches!

Anyway, since most of y'all back east don't live in states that have territorial histories, i thought you might get a kick out of this...


In other news, i have a date. Remember married guy? So, my friend called me Saturday wondering why i hadn't made it to the gathering on Friday night, and we got to talking. i asked him if the cute New-New-Guy (i need to get better code names for these people!) with the goatee and the killer smile was there and he said no, that he had RSVPd but didn't show. So i said, aw, that's ok, he's married anyway. my friend says uh, no, he's divorced... and i started verbally kicking myself and finally told him to send New-New-Guy a personal invitation from me to the next event. Yesterday... i got an email from my friend.... New New Guy is excited to see me and will definitely be attending on May 9.... heehee!!

When i met him last time, though, i felt bold and daring. i flirted like it was my last flirt. Now with so much time to anticipate it, i'll be all nerves and fidgets. i'll probably trip on my own toes and make stupid science jokes. How could i have NOT caught the 'ex' part when he was talking about his wife?!?

Off to Phila... the city of my birth...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home