27 February 2009

Tough Decision

my mom sent me an email a few days ago... the Upper School chemistry teacher is leaving Ellis.

Now, i wasn't planning on going back to Pittsburgh this year. And i do want to move to an Upper School position, but i had been thinking biology, not chemistry. i kind of figured i had one more grand, solo adventure in me before i headed home to be with family and friends five or ten years later. i took a chance on Kansas for love. i want to take a chance on me now. Go somewhere thrilling and far away.

But when i think about all those nights last year that i went home or to Perry just sobbing, missing Ellis so much, and the girls who had me looking forward to every day, it becomes more compelling. Faculty positions don't open up there very often. Most people are smart enough to know how lucky they are. And i've been teaching chemistry and physics for the last two years. Granted, not at the AP level, but i always love a challenge, and though i know it would be a lot of work, i also think i could do it.

But i had my eyes on someplace new, different, and mountainous. Santa Fe, Seattle, Idaho... the whisper of the unknown is almost irresistible to me. The vision of me in my truck, with some new "moving tapes" and another twenty five pounds lighter, bounding across the rockies to a new life.... i ache for it.

Help? Advice?

3 Comments:

Blogger Rhett said...

well - from one who's farthest adventure was college :) i'd say - if you're not ready to go "settle" back at home - keep traveling and experiencing the country/world. yes - there is a job open at ellis now - but there may be a bio job open in 5 years! of course the farther west you go - the harder to get back home to visit (i'm helping right? :)) but i have to say... ask your heart... then ask your brain... then ask your heart again and it will tell you. can't wait to know what you decide after this wonderful advice i've offered... ha!

27 February, 2009 14:36  
Blogger Allison said...

I'm a sucker for family - I would say go back and spend summers exploring. But that's me.

I agree with Rhett - ask your heart, then your mind, then your heart again. You'll know the right thing.

28 February, 2009 22:03  
Blogger Beth said...

Have you decided what you want to do? That is a tough decision...but I personally would keep traveling and seeing the world before you settle down and have a family...if you're really meant to be back there, your dream job will open up :-) In the meantime, see the world!! (IMO)

Hehe, yes, our snow is one day a year...it's kind of funny how it happens....one day of heavy snow and ice...and then it melts off and we go back to 70 degree weather :-)

06 March, 2009 20:19  

Post a Comment

<< Home