27 January 2009

Chicken Poop

Another Kansas-ism for the books. This one seems off-putting when you first hear about it. i know it did to me. But as it becomes more familiar, it also becomes more endearing.

Back story: there's something about the Midwestern winter that does not agree with my lips. i've lived in cold climates for a good portion of my life and have never had the problems i have here. Every winter, like clockwork, January rolls around and my lips start cracking and peeling. Maybe it's not that it's so much colder in Kansas but so much drier. i don't know, but it drives me batty, and it hurts like crazy!

So i went on a mission to heal my poor lips. i tried Chapstick, i tried Blistex. i even tried straight up petroleum jelly as per a suggestion from a friend and found that not only ineffective but largely unpleasant as well.

Along came Chicken Poop.


Yes, that's right. Chicken Poop. The whole label reads like this...

100% pure
free range

Chicken Poop
lip junk
put put it on your lips
contains no poop
a product of Kansas
ilovechickenpoop.com

Now, Chicken Poop doesn't actually work any better than Chapstick, and yet i put it on daily. All it really does is make the little skin flakes on my lips wetter. But hey, i can't help it. i'm a Kansan, and this is what we use. Everybody uses it. i don't exaggerate. EVERYBODY.

You can get it anywhere. Wal-Mart, Sears, grocery stores, gas stations, and of course, Walgreens...



It's quirky.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lauren P said...

Thanks, Ellie! This made me giggle this morning. :)

Have you tried Burt's Beeswax? I know what you mean, I have super dry skin to begin with and come winter, my hands hurt and crack and sometimes bleed cuz its so cold and dry. I'm thankful my lips don't get it as bad as my hands. I do like Blistex complete moisture and Burt's Beeswax. Still on the search for the perfect hand lotion, though.

27 January, 2009 09:25  
Blogger Rhett said...

i need to get some for my dad. he used to tell us - if you wanted to heal chapped lips - put some chicken manure on them... he said, "it won't help them heal any faster - but you'll stop licking them and making them worse." that is too funny.

27 January, 2009 11:23  
Blogger Allison said...

that is hilarious!

27 January, 2009 16:30  
Blogger Andee said...

LMAO - you should totally send me some!

31 January, 2009 11:59  

Post a Comment

<< Home