10 November 2008

Remembering Andrea's Old Friend

This weekend was our first chess tournament of the season, so i did that all day Saturday. Had no plans to do anything else but grade lab reports when... i got a call from my new friends. They said they were hitting Old Town (a groovy little area of Wichita where all the youngin's hang out on weekends to drink themselves silly).

We ate first at a Mexican restaurant called Playa Azul (translation: Blue Beach... who knows why?) and then went to Mort's bar across the street. After sitting around there for a few hours we decided to hit another place, presumably an Irish bar called Finns. It is difficult to describe how out of place a bunch of teachers, even in our twenties, were at this place. It was not so much Irish as Wichita, Kansas's attempt at an inner city dive. So i decide my last drink of the night needs to be an Alabama Slammer. Andrea put this idea back into my head last month and i thought, hey, what the heck...

So i'm sitting there with five other nerds, sippin' on my old friend and watching all the urban youths grind on each other on the dance floor while we sit around and talk politics and philosophy at a volume that will make all of us hoarse the next day. What comes on the speakers next, but Sir Mixalot. So we all get up and dance... drinks in hand, and i'm having myself a total 90s revival in my own mind.

i also took the oppertunity this week, since my mom was feeling bad for me about some unpleasantness in the romance department, to break the news about my latest tattoo. So since my mom knows now, i guess i can show y'all too.

i did this last month... or even back in September. i love it to death. The tattoo artist (and most everyone who has seen it) says, "hey, cool, a satellite dish..." And i have to say... "um, no, helLO, its a radio telescope....??"

It was based on this photograph from my trip to the VLA during my Southwest Safari:




And here's how the tat turned out...



It's on my left thigh, a little lower than i think maybe it should be, but high enough to be covered for school and low enough to be seen in shorts without having to flash leg! No, it's not the whole periodic table nor the neodymium square i was pondering early this year. BUT when i thought of it i knew immediately i wanted it. Good sign. It both expresses my inner (maybe not so inner?) nerd and commemorates my trip through the desert. So i'm pleased.

my mother of course says... "do you know how bad that's going to look when you're 80?!" And my response, as ever, is... "do you really think when i'm 80 my tattoo will be the worst-looking part of my body??"

2 Comments:

Blogger Allison said...

I love the tatt!

Your mom sounds like mine. She keeps telling me when I'm in a nursing home I'll gross all the young nurses out.
I said, "Well, they'll look at me and know I had fun when I was younger." And who cares if my tattoos are discolored and saggy when I'm 80? Maybe some hot 70 year old will think it's sexy! LOL!

10 November, 2008 22:41  
Blogger Andee said...

LMAO - I've never thought of that as a response to the question of how a tatoo will look when you are older.

Also, I smiled really big when you said Sir Mixalot came on, I haven't heard that song in forever and I too would have gotten up and danced.

Good to break the news to your mom before you put it up on the blog. I learned that lesson the hard way.

And I love the Hello! It's a radio telescope! Like Duh! :-) It does show your inner nerd. But we like that part (and all the other parts too) about you.

12 November, 2008 08:10  

Post a Comment

<< Home