16 November 2008

How Much Easier Would My Life Have Been...




This weekend has been pretty slow. i was sick with something most of last week and even took Friday off school. i'll never know what it was, since my doctor wouldn't see me. But actually, that's exactly the kind of doc that i want. i'm not big on taking antibiotics for any drip and fever that comes down the chute. That's how we ended up with super-bacteria, thank you very much. But i was compelled to call her after two nights of being unable to sleep from a cough that wouldn't respond to syrups. The nurse asked me what was wrong with me, and so of course i said, 'oh, there's so many ways to answer that question.' After waiting fruitlessly for a laugh, i went on and told her i had a cough. She was unimpressed and wouldn't give me an appointment. Bravo.

Anyway, i was feeling better on Saturday when i got a call from Emily. Get this, guys... she's a Girl Scout! Yep, my baby girl, who for me will ever in part be the sleeping angel of an infant i placed in her mother's arms, is now a shameless cookie pusher.

i've always told my students that the first girl to bring me a cookie form will totally clean up, but i guess i can stop saying that now. i've found myself a new dealer.

Later i went to a pizza party for one of my friends' final adoption hearing. Yes, their two lovely children, a 4 year old boy and a 6 year old girl, are now legally theirs. i couldn't help but remember Emily's own final hearing. Of course she was just 6 months old on that day. But that was the first time i had seen her since the hospital. And that was the first day that Chris and Shelly let us into their lives and the first day after she was born that i didn't wake up worrying about her. And, really, the last.

Today we went to see the Upper School play, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. i had no idea how racy it was!! Much less so than the Mesozoic Era, in my opinion, though i'll hear much more about the inappropriateness of the latter.

1 Comments:

Blogger Allison said...

Oh, Ellie.
You know, I was thinking of you and Emily the other day. I can't believe she's old enough to be a girl scout! Any new pics to share?

Glad you're over your cold.

16 November, 2008 19:32  

Post a Comment

<< Home