21 December 2007

Heartless Airlines

i know that blogging about this won't help on this tiny little space which only friends read, but it needs to be said, and damnit, i'm gonna say it.

Jeff and i booked plane tickets months ago to spend Christmas with my family in Pittsburgh. Our flights go through Cleveland, Ohio, which is only about an hour and a half from Pittsburgh. Things developed and changed, and as it turned out, Chris, Shelley, Emily, and Elizabeth, only have the 23rd open to spend with us. That's the day Jeff and i arrive.

Because of a 3 hour layover in the Cleveland airport, it actually ends up being faster for us to stop there, have my dad pick us up, and drive to Pittsburgh. So we decided we would do that, and that way we'd all be together on the 23rd for supper.

This week i decided to call Continental Airlines to make sure that it would be alright to have our baggage taken off at Cleveland, and i got rebuffed. They won't even let us stop in Cleveland. Called again, rebuffed harder. Asked Jeff to call and give them the library director voice. HE was denied and they threatened to cancel our whole itinerary if we caused any more problems. Had my dad call to give them the lawyer voice. No bones. Looks like i will not get to see Emily this Christmas, nor will Jeff get to meet her at all. My whole family will be together with them... and trust me, i don't begrudge them that... but i will be absent. And i am heartbroken.

The airline will not allow us to NOT fly from Cleveland to Pittsburgh. If we try it, they will cancel our flight and we will have no way home. Well, that's not entirely true. They will let us not fly from Cleveland to Pittsburgh... for $425 each -- more than the ticket cost in the first place. i spent every last dime i had to spare just to get home, and couldn't fathom $425 if i tried.

Over the course of this ordeal i told them... i'm just trying to get home to my family for Christmas, and if i can't get off in Cleveland, i will miss them entirely. No sympathy, no compassion. Just, "sorry, ma'am, it doesn't work that way."

Do me a favor, please. If you ever have the choice between Continental and another airline that won't cost you more than a few bucks, please, choose the other airline. They will probably never notice the difference, but who cares?

The pathetic joke becomes... what if i don't use the overhead compartment? How much is that gonna cost me?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if this will work, but you could always say you have a death in the family and you need to be able to get to it as fast as possible. I know that many airlines take care of those who need to get home to be near there loved ones. You never know. I know it sounds a bit harsh, but I would hate for you to miss your family over the holidays!

21 December, 2007 18:38  
Blogger Allison said...

Airlines have to receive a copy of the death certificate for you to use that kind of flight.

I'm so sorry you'll miss Emily.

23 December, 2007 19:21  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.

15 January, 2008 02:43  
Blogger Allison said...

Update your blog Elle!

17 January, 2008 14:00  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. I'll never fly with them, promise.
You're a sweet person and you deserve better.

08 February, 2008 21:50  

Post a Comment

<< Home