24 March 2008

Winning Souls to Barack Obama

This week has been eventful, both personally and politically!

On the personal side, my mother drove to Kansas to spend the first half of her spring break with me on the entirety of mine. We didn't see anything that i hadn't seen before, except for the Spice store which delighted me to no end. But i did get to take her to Wyldewood Cellars, purveyors of "Fine Kansas Wine," where we bought wine made from sand plums (endemic to Oklahoma and Kansas), elderberries, and blackberries. Then i took her to Lindsborg, the Swedish town i wrote about last year, and around the city of Wichita. She, as i, was impressed by the clean, gridded, friendly city i now call home.




Politically, it was a big week for my man Obama. Michigan and Florida will not revote. Good for us, since Obama did not campaign in either state. Also, Fox News decided to release video of Obama's former pastor (former because the Reverend retired several months ago) making some impassioned sermons regarding the complicity of the United States in the way extremist groups have come to view us.

i have been a supporter of Barack Obama for almost a year. Last summer, my brother mentioned him to me and i started doing my research. my brother is the most brilliant person i have ever known, and as he is my big brother, i may have a bit of a hero complex with him. But, he did have the highest SAT and LSAT scores i've ever seen, he does have a degree in history, and he is nearly through law school with strong emphasis on civil rights and constitutional law. Certainly, there are less educated or qualified people to guide me through the political jungle. So when he tells me about a candidate, or an issue, i listen. And i listened about Barack Obama, and liked what i found so much so that i became a bit of a campaigner myself.

Jeff came up for the weekend, so two of my favorite people in the world were here with me yesterday, and after they dragged me to an Episcopalian Easter service and i sat impatiently through a sermon about how dying tomorrow would be wholly acceptable (speak for yourself, lady!), we came to my school to look up the weather for my mom's drive home today. Since we were here and had been discussing the Reverend Wright issue the night before, we decided to listen to the entirety of Barack Obama's speech on race and religion in America.

By the end, my staunchly feminist, gung-ho Hillary mother and my I-guess-I'll-have-to-write-in-Micky-Mouse disenchanted boyfriend who keeps whining about Obama's lack of experience to hide more deeply seeded fears were chocked up and ready to think, if not vote.

It's a long speech, over 35 minutes, but well worth watching. As i tell my students: you don't have to agree with me, but you do have to have all the information before you decide.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

I signed up for his mailing list... I'm trying to keep an open mind... WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT FROM ME? :):)

Love you...

25 March, 2008 19:08  
Blogger Rhett said...

ok first - thank you for calling poly the second most beautiful baby. that is quite a complement!!

now about obama. I'm not a fan really - but I'll try and wtch his speech tomorrow. I think the dems need to ask someone (anyone) to step down so the party can heal a little after all the "politics" that have gone on. if they dont unify themselves Before the convention I think the reps will landslide in November. i dont know who i would vote for at thus point. everyone seems dangerous on some level. I guess I'll just enjoy learning more about them until november and we will see whathappens.

25 March, 2008 21:57  

Post a Comment

<< Home