12 December 2009

Some Lofty Goals

On Kate Moon: thanks for satisfying my curiosity, guys! How do i not know her? i just found it doing a YouTube search for Clemson, or Clemson Band, or something like that. The comments were similar to those guys you knew, Ali... something like "so this is what it feels like to fall in love..." And i was so hoping it was Andee or Becky. Oh, well.

And now for some truth and consequences.

Since starting school i haven't been so good with the exercise. The schedule we keep here has been kicking my butt, and i've been getting home at 7 or 8 every night, and in bed by 9, and not wanting to spend my few precious hours of alone time sweating it out in the gym.

But i backslid on a lot of my progress too, gaining back about 10 pounds of the 40 i had lost. And that made me sad, which made me feel less like working out.

i have held off on making this post until i was sure my drive and motivation were back, and after two weeks without missing a workout, and five of those ten pounds back under my shoe rubber, i think i can. i am back to the 17-minute mile (i know that's not very impressive, but it does include up to 10 minutes of non-stop jogging at 4 mph, which i have been unable to do since moving to Kansas over two years ago)

Some rather lofty goals have been swirling around in my head for the last two weeks and i have hesitated to make them public, as that makes them real. But i think i am ready. Any of you runners who want to do any of these with me, i'd be more than happy to make a trip down to DC or even further, particularly for the last one, in order to have people with me when i do it.

1.) By summer of 2010, run a 5K race.
2.) By the end of 2010, run a 10K race.
3.) By the summer of 2011, run a half marathon.
4.) Drive around with one of those oval "13.1" stickers on my car.


i know what you're thinking... where's the marathon, Elle? Yes, yes, i know. It just seems so out there that i can't imagine it yet. And if i can't imagine it, i can't set a realistic goal. Perhaps i will add it once i've made it to the 10K mark.

5 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

We're there for ya babe!

12 December, 2009 14:17  
Blogger Lauren P said...

I'd love to run with you! Let me know when and where!

I think a half marathon is definitely doable in 2010....once you can do 3 miles, you can train for one in about 4 months. I've registered for the Marine Corps Historic Half if Fredericksburg, VA in May if you are interested.

12 December, 2009 18:25  
Blogger Rhett said...

that's fantastic! good luck to you! i just can't imagine running without being chased :)

14 December, 2009 11:54  
Blogger Allison said...

You're allowed a little backslide after moving! It's okay!
I'm with Rhett - I'm only running if someone with a club is coming after me... and they I don't think I'd get very far. I don't think I've EVER run on purpose. EVER. And I'm just fine with that!

We're all proud of you! Come to SC soon! I'm hoping to get to MD over the summer - maybe we can meet up.

14 December, 2009 13:44  
Blogger Andee said...

You can do it, even though I am firmly in the camp of I run when I'm being chased by a bear! Even though I want to be a runner......

15 December, 2009 09:17  

Post a Comment

<< Home